..I gave my salam and walked through his many sons to sit by his side..he sat propped against the wall on a cotton mattress..a daughter was feeding him roti canai.. and he sipped water through a straw held in a glass by another daughter..he could not moved his hands..so I clutched and stroke his..there was no recognition in his eyes..
'Aren't you taking him to the hospital?'
'We have engaged a renowned masseur. He comes every alternate days.'
I tried to tell them, gently, what little I know of strokes, what causes them..about blood clots and bleeding in the brain..and that maybe, a trip to the hospital would be better..they could ascertain things..but they were adamant that he be treated at home by this renowned masseur..seeing the reluctance, I kept my peace..
..later at home, I told my wife, in no uncertain terms..that when I showed signs of a stroke..
- Sudden numbness, paralysis, or weakness in your face, arm, or leg, especially on only one side of your body.
- New problems with walking or balance.
- Sudden vision changes.
- Drooling or slurred speech.
- New problems speaking or understanding simple statements, or feeling confused.
- A sudden, severe headache that is different from past headaches.
..to just bundle me up and send me immediately to HUSM, Kubang Kerian, no matter my protestations..no matter how stubborn I am..and no matter what others say...
..for a full bloom flower will one day wilt..oceans dry and stars dim..indeed, the only constant is You, Lord..