Sunday 16 January 2011

..retirement, wives and stuffs..


..on the day of my retirement, eleven years ago, a subordinate who was also a close friend, gave me a card wishing me happy retirement..it was the only card that I received..oh, there were farewell gatherings, speeches and gifts..even a trip to Haadyai just for the heck of it..where we ramvonged and karaoked the nights away..but the card was special..I had it framed and hung it on a wall in my  bedroom....where it remained until this morning when I took it off to have it scanned..



..one would think that after more than a decade, one would get over it..but no, like those passionate moments with your ex-wives or girlfriends, it lingers and remains just as fresh as the day you last punched your card....a few days into retirement, I was still in back-to-office mode..pants and socks on, shirt tucked in and fingering a tie..not knowing where to go..wife, on the way to the kitchen, gave me a peck on the forehead and said, 'Go for breakfast outside..' I did...but the language was foreign..it was cows and goats..tabacco seasons and water released...different from office canteen stuff...later, I just sat in front of the telly and absentmindedly switched channels...the birds twittering outside were having a better time than me...

..a few years on, I realised that people retired everyday..it is just another stop before the last...for death awaits all...I just need to keep myself busy...so I landscaped the garden, renovated the house and traveled to my second wife in KL...that kept me busy for a while..but the mind, the brain, needed stimulus...it was too late to go hunting..sweet young things will not anymore gave me the time of day..no..I needed to channel it to something more productive than sex...

..later I was to learn that 90% of retirees spent their gratuities within their first year of retirement..and just as much percentage of their business endeavours failed...

..I spent my gratuity alright..but I also got myself a job...with a leading building contractor who secured a design and build school complex in Maran, Pahang...I prepared reports, chaired meeting on his behalf..and liased with the sub-contractors and consultants..and made trips to KL..it was only 2 hours away..and she waited my arrival with a warm embrace and petulant lips...

..but like upon everything else on this earth, gentle time had a telling effect on 55-year olds approaching 60...a bout of hypertension and tinnitus forced a change of gears...on downshifting, I discovered the net...I became a little bit net savvy...I made cyber friends..I blog...and most important of all.....I came to terms with myself...and old coot...


 ..to Asod, who gave me the card, and who will be retiring this 23rd of February..cheers and good luck...life does not begin at 40...no...it starts at 60...
 

20 comments:

SFGEMS said...

I am eagerly looking forward to retirement. Why? I don't know. I'm in a great job with a good boss and wonderful colleagues. Yet, I am yearning to retire. I wonder if I will feel this way when my time comes.

Wan Sharif said...

retirement..
indah khabar dari rupa?!..
grass is greener on the other side.
Take care..

Red Alfa said...

Salam Pakmat

I was one such guy who has less than 10% left BUT a few days from retirement day!

I had cleared my EPF plus savings to pay that huge debt from my failed business venture.

I did that because there were cases of people who died with uncleared debt for their surviving family ... so better without debts and starting over again at 55 than living the days of retirement with the debt hanging over my head.

Starting over again at 55 had me looking at sharing my knowledge and experience with the young and getting paid for it was the very welcome bonus. It has been very satisfying and it has risen the passion for my work quite a lot.

I am now praying I will be able to continue beyond the "temporary" as when I had begun on it. And working hard to be more fit and vigorous than I had ever been also have since taken me to that retirement is but starting over again.

Just to share with you that having to work after retirement may be just the "pick-me-up" you can look forward to.

Fadhil said...

Salam Pakmat,

You discovered the net and decided to blog. We are privileged to be your blogger-friends and enjoying your writing...

Tommy Yewfigure said...

Pakmat, I will retire when I no longer get the urge or the fitness to go to work each morning. The official retirement age here is 65y.o but they will allow u to carry on if u so wish to. The trouble is I like my work & the fact that this old dog can still learn from the younger generations. It still amazes me that kids today are much smarter than us older guys once/ever were, probably due to their exposure to this globalised world thru’ the net.

All they need is just a little guidance & direction, mission statements, then u leave them on their own devices, give them the full responsibility & ownership of any project, 9 out of 10 times, they’ll come up with the results with the gizmos available to them nowadays. The thing is you have to have faith & trust in the young people & to prepare them to take over eventually. I‘m cutting my hours to phase out, so that I can enjoy reading u guys blogs….hehehe…and what’s more it’s fun & exciting to be in the company of younger people, makes u feel ‘alive’ & vibrant, they are no different from us when we were young too.

P/S - I'm so envy of your love life & 'exploits', u blardy champion!...kekeke..

Anonymous said...

So glad that you discovered the Net and decided to blog. And we are all the richer to have made your acquaintance and enjoy your well-written prose with our kopi-o-kaw and roti marie.

hazeleyed lady said...

Ass-salam Pakmat
...it wasnt that bad after all yeah?

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Abe Mat,
Me thinks Mama's joining your club soon....purrr....meow!

YuinTing said...

Dear Pakmat, I enjoy reading your blog very much. Keep writing and I'm so glad to get to know such a wonderful person like you. Thanks for sharing your life experience with us.

Unknown said...

..salam steest..a great job, wonderful boss and colleagues and you r looking forward to retirement..? :)..something is not adding up..my conjecture is there is something else far better awaiting..and pakmat wished you all the best..when your time comes, you will..and odd moments..its like wishing for the past..I suppose everyone goes through it..and when you reached my age..there is nothing but the past to recall and reflect..

Unknown said...

salam wan..the grass is always greener on the other side..even the worms are fatter...

salam red..what u did was admirable..I did somethinglike that, too..partially paid for the house..settled some of debts and such...and being employed after retirement is fulfilling..upt to a point..but later, you grew tired..at 66 I have no more the vim and the vigour..rather take it easy and settled for whatever I have..

Unknown said...

..aw, oldstock..the privilege is entirely mine..for when I discovered the net, I discovered a bunch of great guys who were willing to take me in and called me friend..

Unknown said...

..salam tommy..children of today are something else altogether..how I wished I was that angst=ridden youth again in this new decade..with all the possibilities waiting..but I am glad, too..in many ways, of course..mainly tht my sunset overlaps their sunrise..but I have enjoyed my time in the sun..time now to see the stars..

Unknown said...

salam andrea..coming from you, that;s a compliment..thank you..if anything that I have learned at all thro the years it is how to handle compliments from vivacious ladies..but over here we had coffee brewed with cat's whisker over lompat tikam and cekmek..

Unknown said...

no, it wasn't, hazel...not too bad..and you take care, u hear?..rtake care of that dainty littleit heart of yours..


my dear cat..and pakmat awaits your mama's entry with open arms..regards to Brad...cats..

Unknown said...

Dear Yuin Ting..as you are a wonderful wife, mother, friend, acquaintance, yourself..so you take care..and hve a joyous new year among your family and friends..cheers

Unknown said...

terhibur sokmo bilo baco blog abe mat ~!

Sir Pök Déng said...

Ah! Thank you Pak Mat! Now I have reasons to keep going! haha!

Life begins at 60. Love that.

sot said...

Work for the future iaitu hari akhirat, then we should never retire until death...come to think about it. Jadikan harta dunia sebagai jariah akhirat. The future is ahead of us.

Masa Depan = Alam Akhirat :)

Unknown said...

..salam Pp,..tq..looking forward to your retirement..:)

Salam SPD..of course life starts at 60..you have a long way to go yet..se4moga dirahmati Allah..

..you are right, sot...as always..:) cheers..and take care..