Sunday 26 August 2012

..trying to be a good muslim..

...approaching 70, I am still working on trying to be a good muslim...and I think it is laughable that at my age I am still at the attempting stage...should not someone of 67 be smug and snug that he is a good muslim?...

...I am trying to be a good muslim in between Ramadans...I was a better muslim in the fasting month...not really good, but better...in that I tried to be more forgiving of people...speak less and not to give in to mindless and uncontrollable laughter...I also tried to keep my eyes down...tried no to see what they willingly revealed...and, of course, I tried to be kind and charitable..to children, especially...to the cats and animals...to the plants and trees...

...I am also trying to be a better father to my children...but most have grown and have families of their own...so I tried to be a better grandfather...the only grandfather that I remembered was my mother's father, tokayah...but he never put me on his lap or hugged or kissed me....as I often did to mine...and I hope that one day, when they all have up and grown, they will remember wistfully this cranky grandfather of theirs...and the kittens that I placed into their little fingers...and the kisses that I smudged upon their faces..

...and I am also trying to be a better husband...and that, being the polygamist that I was, is nigh impossible...but now that I back on a monogamous path again, I am trying to be a better ex-husband to my ex-wives...its not easy, of course..much has flowed under the bridge...I am trying to be more cordial...open and communicable...

..I have a couple more years before touching 70... I might just reach it and go a little bit beyond...until then, I am on this path of trying to improve myself and be a better person by 70...the Lord willing..




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir hajji, very very Noble intention indeed, may Allah guide us all.


Jitraman

Wan Sharif said...

We are supposed to better ourselves .. Improving ourselves ;)

Anonymous said...

Salam Pakmat,

No average man can claim they are good muslim.
Being human, we are subjected to errors.

Being good is a journey not a destination.

norsiaha2003@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Salam Tn Hj,

We continue to learn new things everyday ... about life ... about how to be a good Muslim. Maybe not perfect, as we're humans after all.

Well, at least you're not like that pakcik who tried to kill himself because wife number 1 tak bagi izin kawin lagi satu ... do I laugh, or do I cry about what men get up to in the winter of their lives ...

A

P/S Selamat Hari Raya :)

School Of Tots said...

It's never too late to do good deeds, to be good muslims. Just like in the month of Ramadan, sometime people busy celebrating the coming of Raya or caught up with balik kampung fiesta, by neglecting those few precious moment of the very final days, hours, minutes or seconds of Ramadan, the moment so valuable that cannot be bought with all the gold in the world. Never loose hope until the end & just do it...as Allah the Most Merciful. Jazakallah.